fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > Rival Central
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:38 pm

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Angry CC to the Brewers

Pending a physical, Mr. Sabathia will be the newest addition to the NL Central.

Quote:
The Brewers are extremely close to a deal to acquire Indians ace C.C. Sabathia in a trade that bolsters their rotation for a playoff push, a person with direct knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press.

The person requested anonymity because the trade has not been finalized and said there were a few remaining issues to work out.

Sabathia went 19-7 with a 3.21 ERA to win the AL Cy Young last season and would give the Brewers another power pitcher to pair with Ben Sheets as Milwaukee tries to make the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

The big lefty is 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA for the Indians, but has also been plagued with a lack of run support. In 11 of his 18 starts, Cleveland has scored two runs or less for him.

“I’m good, excited,” Sabathia wrote in a text message posted on ESPN.com. “It’s weird leaving these guys.”

The trade was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

To get Sabathia, Milwaukee will have to part with a package of prospects including Matt LaPorta, a power hitting left fielder selected in the first round last year who was scratched from a Double-A game in Huntsville on Sunday night.

LaPorta was hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville.

“It’s kind of flattering to have your name brought up for one of the best pitchers in the game,” LaPorta told the Huntsville Times. “There would be no hard feelings one way or another. This is a business, and I understand that.”

The Indians, who were one win from the World Series last year, have quickly fallen out of contention, making a move likely. Milwaukee wants Sabathia now to make as many starts as possible.

Sabathia, who was slated to start for Cleveland Tuesday at Detroit, rejected a $72 million, four-year extension from the Indians during spring training and announced he wouldn’t negotiate any deal until after the season.
Cleveland doesn’t want to see another star leave town without getting anything in return after Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez and Albert Belle all left for free agency. In 2002, the Indians traded popular starter Bartolo Colon to Montreal for prospects Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore and Brandon Phillps.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:51 pm
All-Star

My Mood:
I'm looking at the big picture and i really dont care that they have him. He is a 3 month loan, he will be gone in the off season. If we play like we can play then it doesn't matter who the Brewers have, we will still come out on top in the central. They are trading one of the best players in minors IMO, and a future stud for a 3 month loan???

LaPorta was hitting .288 with 20 homers and 66 RBIs in 84 games for Huntsville

If i were the Indians i would be delighted to be getting this guy, and I'm delighted as a Cubs fan that the Indians are getting him. I will take 3 months of Sabathia over 10 years of LaPorta.

He will be gone and so will Sheets in the off-season, they will have the draft picks, but nearly all draft picks from the MLB draft take 2-3 years to make a impact. I really dont mind them getting him.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:26 am
Rookie

My Mood:

Hell, if they make a decent Run, they might just sign him to be their new ace and let Sheets go...

we shall see..
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:37 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Sheets has said he will test the FA market anyway. CC wont be able to resist that massive pay check that im sure the Yankees will throw at him.