fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Everything Else > The Media Room
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:21 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Cubs Book Review

I really suggest that every Cub fan read the book Cubs Nation 162 games* 162 Stories* 1 Addiction by Gene Wojciechowski. Gene spent the summer with the Cubs and gives a story for each game of the 2004 season, however he doesn't just give a recap of the game, because we all know we really don't want to re-live the heartbreaking 2004 season. What he does do is tell a Cubs-related story. He interviews sooooo many people that have something to do in some aspect with the Cubs. He interviews the Umpires room attendant. He interviews a bar owner from across the street, landlords of the apartments nearby, he sits in the booth with Pat and Ron, the organist, Wayne Messimer, and lots of players (past and present) and coaches. The only player who did not cooperate with the book was Sammy Sosa, because he wanted to be paid for any participation he would take in the book.

Here are some of the reviews from Amazon.om:
Quote:
Many authors have chronicled the fortunes of a baseball team over the course of eight months (including spring training and the postseason). Wojciechowski, a writer for ESPN The Magazine, takes a different approach in his examination of the Chicago Cubs' performance during the 2004 season. The games themselves are only the launch point for his imaginative research, thus get relatively short shrift. Naturally, he keeps track of the wins and losses, tossing in a few pertinent facts and stats in the Cubs' pursuit of the pennant (which never came). He discusses myriad aspects of the games, addressing not just marquee players like Sammy Sosa but utility players as well, and their stories are often more interesting. Still more appealing are the behind-the-scenes glimpses of diehard fans, colorful beer vendors, outrageous broadcasters and others. Even real estate agents, looking to rent apartments across the street from Wrigley Field, get their due as part of Cubs Nation. Wojciechowski isn't overly concerned with gossip; he is more intent on offering readers insight, which comes from diverse sources, like political pundit George F. Will and social commentator Studs Terkel. This engrossing account shows how fans fall in love with a team through heartache and elation. Agent, Janet Pawson. (On sale Apr. 12)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
In 2003 the Chicago Cubs almost ended a 50-plus year World Series. With the Cubs poised to shed the "lovable losers" tag in 2004, journalist Wojciechowski, a lifetime Cubs fan, set himself up in an apartment near Wrigley Field to chronicle the season that, as it turned out, wasn't what he had expected. The team was beset with injuries and controversies, and the St. Louis Cardinals ran away with the division. But, as the title states, there were plenty of sidebar stories to tell. Wojciechowski interviewed more than 200 people connected with the Cubs, including players, team officials, and fans. Two sandouts are Paul Rathje, who, in his role as stadium chief, speaks of Wrigley Field like a father would of a successful son, and Billy Corgan, lead singer of the rock group Smashing Pumpkins, who offers a refreshingly "everyman" perspective on citizenship in "Cub Nation." There are plenty of cool baseball anecdotes here, but this revels in the nature of fandom more than in screaming line drives to right field. Given the Cubs' national appeal, expect demand in every market.
If you can get your hands on a copy of it, it is one of those that you will not be able to put down once you start to read it.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:42 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

I've read it too, and it is definitely great! It has a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that you would not know reading another source.

Another good book is Where Have All Our Cubs Gone? by George Castle if you like hearing about older players (Dave Kingman, Jose Cardenal) that you barely hear of now.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:31 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Another MUST have for a Cub fan (although, not really for casual reading) is the Cubs Information Guide. I believe they put it out every year. I bought the 2006 one at Wrigley last year and it is my "Cubs Bible". It is full of statistics, both for the current team (including minor leagures) and every historical "first", "last", "most" fact there is about this team. Lots of trivia and information in it. I already plan on getting the 2007 guide when I go to Wrigley on opening day!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:24 pm
Veteran

My Mood:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno4ever View Post
Another MUST have for a Cub fan (although, not really for casual reading) is the Cubs Information Guide. I believe they put it out every year. I bought the 2006 one at Wrigley last year and it is my "Cubs Bible". It is full of statistics, both for the current team (including minor leagures) and every historical "first", "last", "most" fact there is about this team. Lots of trivia and information in it. I already plan on getting the 2007 guide when I go to Wrigley on opening day!
You are right ryno,the information guides that come out each year are what members of the press and media use for reference.In fact they use to be called "media guides".They have tons of facts about Cub players,coachs,etc.past and present.I don't buy one every year but I have over 20 total,2 from the early 70's.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:42 pm
All-Star

My Mood:

Another good book is "Wrigleyville" by Peter Golenbock. It has Cubs history dating back to the begining in the 1800's up until the Sammy/Big Mac homerun race.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:00 pm
Rookie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardnorthsider View Post
Another good book is "Wrigleyville" by Peter Golenbock. It has Cubs history dating back to the begining in the 1800's up until the Sammy/Big Mac homerun race.
I'm reading through Wrigleyville right now. Really good book. I can't believe the kind of stuff that went on during the penant race in 1908! I mean, people actually falling to their death because they were hanging off poles trying to see the game! A real eye opener.

And, man, when you read about how there was a time when the catchers didn't even have gloves, they just caught bare handed. Makes our current style of baseball seem a little less, I don't know... macho...

Anyway, its a great read, although its taking me a long time to get through it all. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 4th 2007, 9:24 pm
MVP

My Mood:
I just bought Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy which crinicles the 1908 season. Few and Chosen by Santo is good as is Wrigleyville.