fogpog Feeds
Subscribe
RSS 2.0
RSS 1.0
Java
Add to My Yahoo!
Link To Us:
fogpog.com - Staying True To Cubbie Blue

Welcome to fogpog, the best place to talk about all things related to Chicago Cubs baseball. To gain full access to fogpog you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in our forums and browse from over 75,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other Cubs fans from around the world.
  • Create your own custom profile filled with many different features.
  • Gain access to our free arcade providing an assortment of fun and challenging games.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the fogpog Staff.

Go Back   fogpog > Cubs Baseball > The Bleachers
CUBS Tickets Gallery Arcade FP Store Donate

Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:02 am

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ryno4ever
Lilley named second starter and more....

Quote:
They're in

As expected Piniella named Lilly as his Game 2 starter on April 4 at Cincinnati and said Ryan Theriot is going to be "our primary extra infielder," leaving only one more bench spot open. Angel Pagan has the inside track unless Felix Pie makes the team.
This was on chicagosports.com. I'm relieved to hear Theriot will be on the team. This also means (I believe) that Lilly will be our home opener starter.

Also on there:

Quote:
MESA, Ariz. -- Mark Prior will pitch out of the bullpen Saturday, switching roles with Ted Lilly, who followed Prior in relief Monday.

"Hopefully we'll get a good surprise," manager Lou Piniella said, referring to Prior.

Prior's velocity was surprisingly low in his debut, but Piniella said he wasn't worried about the possibility of Prior reaching the low-90s by the end of March.

"If a pitcher is healthy and he starts building a little arm strength and a little stamina, I don't see why not," he said. "I don't know about eight or nine [extra m.p.h.], but he can get it up from the mid-80s to the low 90s, and that's what we want to see.

"He couldn't get the breaking ball over, but it was his first time out. We'll just have to wait and see with him. I wish I had the answers for you."

Asked if Prior can win the fifth starter's spot just by staying healthy, regardless of his spring numbers, Piniella replied, "We're going to put together the best five we can, and that's what this competition is all about. I don't know who the fifth starter is going to be. We'll see how this works out."
the full article
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:28 am

man do i love ryan "the riot" theriot...i have the strongest gut feeling about how good this kid can be if given the chance...i say "watch your back Derosa
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:29 am
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
I like the fact of how Pinella handles the media so well. All these questions about Prior lately he's seemed to handle with no problem. I would like to see Pagan get the final spot on the team. He brings speed in the field and he showed he has some pop in his bat. Could he possibly be the next right fielder for us??
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:40 am
Rookie

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to ARAM16_03 Send a message via Yahoo to ARAM16_03
Theriot as our primary infielder is a great idea and I love the idea of Pagan as the primary 4th of'er. Pagan can play all 3 spots and he can also switch hit, no matter who the other manager throws in there! I have seen reports that The Riot is playing all 4 spots in the infield as a precaution! I think thats a great idea!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:15 am
All-Star

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ38 View Post
I would like to see Pagan get the final spot on the team. He brings speed in the field and he showed he has some pop in his bat. Could he possibly be the next right fielder for us??
I'm ecstatic he'll make the club...As long as Pagan can utilize all his god given tools theres no reason why he couldnt be the next right fielder.....but i'm hoping for this scenario.....IF we MUST trade Jones, simply move Pagan to center and Fonzy to RF...if that happened we'd have 2 outstanding arms out there instead of just the one. Dont get me wrong though i like JJ's left handed bat.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:59 am
MVP

Send a message via AIM to DLee25
Well, if we trade Jones, which i dont think we will. Fonzy isn't going to play RF. If he starts opening day at CF, he will end the 2007 season in CF. He doesn't wanna be moved around.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:02 am
MVP

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to BigZ38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Killa View Post
I'm ecstatic he'll make the club...As long as Pagan can utilize all his god given tools theres no reason why he couldnt be the next right fielder.....but i'm hoping for this scenario.....IF we MUST trade Jones, simply move Pagan to center and Fonzy to RF...if that happened we'd have 2 outstanding arms out there instead of just the one. Dont get me wrong though i like JJ's left handed bat.
I don't think we'll be worrying about this until next year seeins how JJ has 2 years left on his contract. That gives Pagan more time to develop.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:25 pm
MVP

My Mood:

Send a message via AIM to HOLYCOW!25
Sweet, that means it'll probably be Lilly pitching for the home opener. Can't wait to see him in action!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:09 pm
Rookie

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to ARAM16_03 Send a message via Yahoo to ARAM16_03
Personally, I would like to see Theriot get at least 350 ab's. That can either be as a starter, coming off the bench late in a game, a double switch or dare I say it, DH during interleague play? He is going to be a stud, just we need to kind him an everyday spot and since he can play IF and OF, watch out!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:11 pm
MVP

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Killa View Post
I agree with that. Except that JJ is not that great against lefthanded pitching.

If Lilley is the opening Day starter at wrigley, I hope the wind is blowing in. He is a fly ball pitcher.